Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Super Salads

Some of you, may remember a recent post where I boldly stated that I really, really don't like salads. I eat them because someone out there tells me that they're good for me. But I don't like them.

It's time to make a little revision on that confession.
It's true, I don't really like leafy salads with ranch dressing and a couple tomatoes. Yuck.
But I've been experimenting a little with some variations on the salad and you know, I'm kind of liking it. Why did I throw the baby out with the bathwater when I gave up salads? I should have been a little more open minded.

This first one you need to trust me that it tasted fabulous. The picture barely does it justice.
Beet and Potato Salad (from the Moosewood Light Cookbook)
Yum AND super healthy, the sauce is plain yogurt, fresh dill, cider vinegar, pickles and scallions. Simple. Delicious. Healthy. And, yes ... Fuschia. Way to add a splash of color to your meal!


Going back to our Western Pennsylvania roots we did the not so healthy Pittsburgh Salad.
Your eyes are not deceiving you - that is salad, topped with veggies, then a layer of fried chicken, loaded with french fries and finally cheese. I thought George might go comatose after eating it ... it was SO good.

And this one's for Betty. Cobb salad. All in very neat, tidy rows. Pretty. Very pretty.
The kicker for this salad was the dressing - dijon, olive oil, honey and some herbs. Anything would taste good with that dressing on it.


And finally, my favorite of the week: Beef Barley Salad. (sorry, no photo, we ate it too fast!)
Steak grilled and sliced thin, barley (yep, the grain), corn, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, onions and a little cumin. This recipe is from Canadian living magazine. You can find the recipe here.

If you have any Super Salad recipes or tips you want to share - please let me know. I'm trying to reform my attitude toward the salad.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Gotta try our spinach and pear salad -- we eat it ALL THE TIME. Baby Spinach (trim off the stems if you like), topped with sliced firm pear. I make the slices basically as very fine wedges. Then sprinkle some blue cheese, not too much, walnut bits and craisins. Top it off with a light dressing. I personally like to use the Renee's Pear & Blue Cheese dressing, which inspired the whole recipe.

Me and G

Me and G