Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Another Reason to Love the Swiss


If you hang out with my husband for more than a few minutes you will quickly realize that his "normal" state of being vacillates somewhere between ADHD/OCD and Rainman.



* oh dear, I just might get in trouble for posting this photo ... oh well!

Don't get me wrong - I love his "normal" state of being.
I love that he has more energy than a dozen hamsters.
I love that 9pm is not too late to call someone and ask if they want to hang out.
I love that he needs me to be his "filter".
I love that he changes his razor blade on the first of every month and (don't tell the boys) that he exfoliates every Sunday.
I love that he exercises everyday.
I love that regardless of what time we return from a trip, he empties his suitcase immediately when we get home.
I love that he has a regular rotation for his preaching shirts.

And ... I love that he eats a bowl of hot oatmeal with a handful of blueberries EVERY morning for breakfast.  Truth is, even when we have bacon and eggs or pancakes he also has a little side of oatmeal.  He just can't start the day without his oatmeal.  Seriously, the boy should do an ad for Quaker ... he's that committed.

Me, on the other hand, not so fond of the hot oatmeal.  I eat it to be healthy, but I have to say that it's not a top 10.  Until I discovered another reason to love the Swiss ...

Trust me on this one.  The Swiss have found a way to redeem oatmeal.  Read this recipe and it sounds disgusting ... but don't trust your instincts, trust me.  It's good.  SO good.  And super-duper healthy - check it out, there are 3 Super Foods in one little bowl!  I will even argue that it is significantly healthier than George's plain-old hot oatmeal and blueberries.














Here we go, it's recipe time ...
Swiss Oatmeal - enough for two people or two breakfasts (stays in the fridge for a couple days)
1 cup oats (plain)
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
handful of blueberries (I use frozen)
1 apple GRATED (grate, don't chop)

1) mix it all together the night before
2) put it in the fridge
3) eat it the next morning
NO COOKING ... DON'T HEAT ... EAT IT COLD

I hereby challenge you to go out on a limb, try it and then give me your honest opinion.
My dear husband can't cross over.  I actually caught him attempting to microwave his Swiss Oatmeal ... I scolded him of course.  So we are divided on this one.   Divided we will remain.  Not to worry though - we agree on the big things in life.  Our differences keep us interesting!

1 comment:

The Grammarian said...

Okay, I'm preppin' it tonight. Let you know my review por la manana!

Me and G

Me and G