This weeks posts should be re-named "Adventures in Absent-minded Mothering."
After leaving a towel on my head for a full 6 hours without realizing it, I proceeded to discover that my adsent-mindedness is not limited to my personal appearance.
Two points to prove my case.
#1: Rancid smell coming from the pantry.
It wasn't hard to discover the smell was coming from the 10lb bag of potatoes I bought for $1.50 when the Superstore was having their buy-one-get-one-free sale. Seriously? Rotten already? No chance.
Ahh ... but the smell was unmistakable. Rotten potatoes.
I dump the bag out in the sink and I immediately discovered my problem.
Rotten potatoes. But these weren't raw rotten potatoes.
Nope - oozing, foaming, festering, rotten BAKED potatoes.
It all came back to me in a flash.
Two weeks ago I thought I was being the ultimate multi-tasking, preparing ahead mom and I baked a whole wack of potatoes. I used a good number of the baked potatoes to make two batches of super yummy baked potato soup. The plan was to have the rest of the potatoes baked and in the fridge ready for lunches. That was the plan.
Somehow the plan was forgot - or short lived - or poorly executed - or something. No baked potatoes made it to our lunch table.
Nope, the afore mentioned Absent-minded Mom apparently took those baked potatoes and threw them BACK in the 10lbs bag of raw potatoes. And there they sat for TWO WEEKS. Festering. Eventually stinking. And most certainly making me GAG.
Absent-minded with a capital A (in bold, large, and italisized!).
#2: Missing Lettuce
Again with the attempting to plan ahead and act like I've got it all together. (Never works - believe me).
Sunday (yes, op Zondag mom!) I picked up a few groceries I needed for the week. Knowing that I wanted to impress a friend coming to dinner later in the week with my new mostly-fruit-nuts-and-beets salad I bought a nice big package of mixed greens. Tossed the grocery bags in the trunk. Zipped home. Hit a pothole or two on the way. Got in the house. Unpacked groceries. Lunch. Kids. Small group. etc. etc. etc.
Tuesday rolls around. 4:45pm - ready to wow Paula with my salad, but NO lettuce in the fridge. Losing my mind AGAIN. Twice in one week.
Again, the flash of memory. The groceries. The bag in the trunk. Potholes. Tipped grocery bags. Yep - the lettuce must be in the trunk.
Wouldn't you know it, the car is in the shop (for repairs unrelated to potholes).
Three days (and $440 in mechanic bills) later I retrieve my lettuce. Frozen. Wilted. Pathetic lettuce.
Sheesh. What a waste.
Today's project: googling recipes for green smoothies that included blended lettuce.
Tomorrow's project: convincing my family to drink green smoothies!
Is that enough to prove my case?
I guess my husband is correct: No one can really multi-task effectively ...
Although, my kids think it's funny to retort, "I'm multi-tasking right now ... I'm breathing, my heart is beating, my blood is flowing, ALL at the same time! The joke never gets old. Never.
Fully present.
That is the goal of the week.
I will be fully present.

3 comments:
But at least you kept 'feeding my family' at the top of your list of things to accomplish this week, seeing you were planning an awesome party and all. . . My family are lucky if they get to eat when I am preparing for an event such as you had. :)
Two comments:
#1. I agree with George. Multi-tasking is highly over-rated and usually impossible.
#2. Baked potato soup sounds delicious.
Thanks for the laugh.
i'm so glad i'm not the only one!!! i ranked high on the absent minded mom list this week!
kori :)
Post a Comment