They're not just little people waiting for their wisdom wings - they're wise. Sometimes wise beyond their years.
This past Sunday afternoon we went to a party that was mostly grown-ups, babies and then my three kids. While I was nibbling on some cake and making small talk I overheard one of the 20-something adults attempt to engage my nine-year old in a conversation. My ear perked. I became the curious fly on the wall. With my toes and fingers crossed I listened, hoping beyond hope that she would acknowledge the man and carry on a somewhat intelligent conversation. I was not disappointed.
Here's how the discussion went:
Adult: "So, guess who I bumped into in the Detroit airport?"
Karis: "I don't know."
A: "Justin Bieber. He literally bumped into me. He was polite - apologized and walked on. Do you like Justin Bieber?"K: "No. I don't really like Justin Bieber. I don't hate him. But I don't like him."
A: "Have you seen his movie."K: "No. I don't really want to. Some of my friends didn't really like him either, then they went to see the movie and now they love him. I don't think I should love him so I don't think I should see his movie."
My perked ears were satisfied.
Not only did she maintain eye contact and carry on a conversation she had a thoughtful, wise answer as well.
And then yesterday, driving in the car, one child concerned about the appearance of an ugly bruise on her leg.
Younger sister pipes in with her nine year old wisdom:
"You know, looking ugly isn't a bad thing. Other people like it when you look bad, it makes them feel prettier."
So there you have it, it is our duty to look bad on purpose so that others can feel better about themselves! I think I'm fulfilling my duty today.Wisdom. It's not limited to big people. I have a lot to learn from those little people around me!
No comments:
Post a Comment