Thursday, April 7, 2011

"I'm Not Barbie" and Other Things That Make Me Go Hmmm...

It's time for a little levity.  The sun is shining.  I'm wearing flip-flops (yes, I'm a premature flip-flop wearer!).  And the singing of the birds outside my window is verging on annoying.  Beautiful, but annoying.  It can be both.

I wrote a "deep thoughts" post at 4am (I think God is asking me to give up sleep for Lent).  But I'll save it for later - probably needs a little editing anyway!

So no deep thoughts, just a little laughter.  In the midst of one of the hardest weeks of my life there have certainly been moments of laughter.
Kids continue to say the darnedest things.
We still smile.
We laugh.

Yesterday my middle child came down to breakfast wearing a cute pair of jeans that I didn't recognize.  They were too new to be from a hand-me-down bag and I was 100% sure I didn't buy them.
Me: "Nice jeans Karis, where did they come from?"
Karis: "Oh.  Well, I told Morleigh's mom that all my jeans had holes in them.  She said I could borrow these."
Oh dear.
How do you spell mortified?

So I take a minute to look at the knees of my son's pants.
There they were, HOLES.
In BOTH knees.
Did someone tell me there was a sale at GAP?  30% off all clearance?
Get in the van kids.  We're going to the mall!

SIDE NOTE: I really don't like the mall.  The mall with kids = worse.  Shopping for jeans = bad.  Shopping for jeans with skinny bum kids who don't even fit in "slim skinnys" = worse.

I find one pair of 6 slim boys pants in the clearance rack.  As he's trying them on I comment:
"Interesting, you need a 6 slim in the bottom but a 7/8 in tops.  Little waist, bigger top."
He quickly retorts:
"Mo-o-o-m, I'm not a Barbie!"
WHAT?
"I'm not a Barbie.  They have little waist and a big top."  *smirk*
Uhh?? Time to put the Barbies away!

So we head over to try on some flip-flops (yes, I'm raising a bunch of premature flip-flop wearers!).  He tries on a pair and quickly says:
"I don't like these at all.  They don't FLIP and they don't FLOP."
OK, on that note we say "NO" to the flip-flop.

Oldest child's joke of the week: "Your epidermis is showing."  
Drives the younger siblings bonkers.


Last Tuesday my friend Darlene offered to have Karis and Justin over for a playdate so that I could have some time to deal with "the mess".  Darlene relayed to me a story that made her chuckle.
As she prepared lunch she asked the kids if they had any allergies.
Justin answered:
"Well, I am allergic to cats.  So as long as you're not serving cat for lunch I'll be ok!".
Nice.

Back to the middle kid, who was working on an online puzzle.
She calls me over to the computer all in a tizzy.  She was laughing so hard she could hardly get the words out of her mouth.
"I lost a piece to the puzzle.   Who loses a piece to an online DIGITAL puzzle?  ME!!! Only I could lose a digital puzzle piece!"
I love a kid who can laugh at herself.


Speaking of laughing at herself.  She's also the kid who has no fear and thinks nothing of donning a crazy outfit and some skis and hurling herself full speed down a mountain (hill) into a pond of below-freezing water.  The kid knows how to have a good time - even it means a little cold water!

Joy and pain.
They do walk hand-in-hand.
I am so thankful for a heart that is soft enough to see the joy in the everyday.
I am thankful for kids who make me smile.
I am thankful for the sound of laughter.
I am thankful for joy in the midst of great pain.
Today, I smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just for the record, I slipped on a pair of flip flops this morning when I drove Ben to school. It's not premature, it's hopeful!

~H

Me and G

Me and G