Monday, May 2, 2011

No Read ... No Write


When people ask how I teach writing I say, "Read."
We learn a little about grammar.  We practice writing sentences and paragraphs.  But the best way to learn to write is to read good literature. (Good being the operative word.)

Which leads me to tonight's post.
We've had a rough couple of weeks.  We spent a week and a half loving a young woman who ended up making a choice we did not agree with.  We loved her.  We gave her all we had for the time she was with us.  We spoke loving words, we spoke harsh yet truth-filled words.  Yet she chose otherwise.  In the end, we were filled with sadness and questions.

Her story remains confidential, but our love for her is public.
Our regular day-to-day was disrupted when the story of our lives intersected with that of hers.
... and we were okay with it.
It's what we're called to.  It's what we are meant to do.

What I haven't done in the last couple of weeks is read.
I have no book in the wings.
I haven't had time or energy to read.

And when I don't read, I can't write.
And that my dear friends, is why this blog has been quiet.
I need to read.

I don't regret the break, I was where I needed to be.
My attention and energy were appropriately side-tracked.
But it's time to get back on track.

So on that note, I sign-off.
You see, I have a book calling my name.

No comments:

Me and G

Me and G