Monday, August 15, 2011

Yummy Mommy Alternate Universe

*disclaimer:  All Yummy Mommy facts in the posts at taken directly from snippets of commercials for "Real Housewives of Orange County".  In actuality I have never met a real Yummy Mommy and doubt their existence in the real world.

For a few brief hours this morning the planets aligned in my favour.
One child went to a friend's house.
Two children left for a day camp field trip.
And my husband had a date with Starbucks.
For a few brief hours I was HOME ALONE.

To fully appreciate this moment you must understand that "home" and "alone" are two words rarely seen side-by-side for a homeschool mom (or for that matter, for any mom of young children).    So there they were:  "home" and "alone", together at last.
I was home alone.

For a moment I was at a loss for what to do.
Too many options.
Read, email, blog.
Or the alternative, clean, cook, can.
Or possibly all of the above??  Crazy!?!

I quickly gathered my thoughts.  Fired off a few emails.  Made a phone call.  Vacuumed.  Washed the bathroom floor  Canned some peaches.  Prepped for dinner.  Scanned through facebook.

Wait a minute.  Really?  Is this Yummy Mommy life?  I need to live it up.  Fully enjoy my "home" and my "alone".
A quick, superman-like change in the bedroom and I came down donning yoga pants, running shoes and a tank.
There you go.  Now I look the part of the Yummy Mommy.
All yoga-ed up and no place to go I checked the gym schedule and noticed a 12:15 Body Pump class.  Perfect.
I made myself a Macha Fruit Smoothie and sat down to watch Rachel Ray while sipping my smoothie.

So, this is how the other half lives.

Still trying to play the role perfectly I called my husband on his cell phone to share a little neighborhood gossip, and then jumped in my mini-van (wishing it were a sportier SUV) to head to the gym.

And then, as quick as it began, it was over.
1:30pm child #3 returned home, kids started ringing the door bell to play, company's coming for dinner, beds to make, laundry to do, meals to plan.
No more Yummy Mommy.  My alternate universe ended.  Reality hit.

It was a sweet little time, the only thing missing was a morning mimosa and a run-in with my arch-enemy (not that I have one!).  But you know what, I'll leave that lifestyle for the moms on "reality" TV.  And for that matter, they can have my mid-day gym classes and my my smoothies too.  The only thing Yummy about this Mommy is the blueberry-lemon jam I made yesterday and the fish tacos I'm making tonight.

Can't wait for my house to be full of loud, rambunctious people - having a good time, eating some yummy food and fully living our good life together!


1 comment:

Dominique S. said...

Hi Robin, after living the majority of 7 years in Orange County, I too, have yet to see the elusive "Yummy Mommy", and doubt their existence! Although I must say that I think I have spotted a few decoys pretending to be them!
Hope you enjoyed the few hours of "home alone" time, it always makes me appreciate the rambunciousness of the boys when they get home. Miss you all in London, and still waiting for you and George to come visit us in SoCal.

Me and G

Me and G