"Hate" is a very strong word. So strong, as a matter of fact, that I try to reserve it for things that deserve a strong word.
Somedays/most days I strongly dislike (verging on hate) LUNCH.
It interupts our day. I never know what to prepare (hot meals take too much time, cold meals seem like not enough food). My children take SO LONG to eat (adding to the "interuption" of the day). Then there's clean-up and attempting to "focus" on school again after lunch. Now, the kids do help - but honestly, at their age it's more work just get them to work.
OK - enough griping Robin.
Yesterday I was in a rare, laid-back, see what comes of our day kind of mood. So lunch didn't really throw me off like it usually does.
I learned some important lessons.
I learned to let even the youngest (noisiest, most distracted, least likely to eat) kid pray.
Justin: "Dear God, thank you for God ...", looks up at me, "I can thank God for God can't I?"
I learned to let play and eating mix.
Me: "Put the dino's away Justin. Justin, put the dino's away." Me, exasperated, "Justin, let's see how the dino's like your chicken."
I learned about DINO's.
Eden: "Mom, that kind of dino doesn't eat meat, it only eats vegetables". (Oops, silly mom!).
I learned that cherry tomatoes, french baguettes, and baby pickles can be sliced VERY small to make yummy appetizer size sandwiches (thanks Karis).
Karis: "I ate FOUR sandwiches for lunch!"
I learned to laugh, to listen, to relax, to enjoy my children, and yes - to enjoy lunch.
Justin (still playing with Dino's): "Na-Na-Na Boo-Boo, my neck's long than your neck".
Eden, Karis and Me: Laughing so hard our faces were red!
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I may never love lunch - but my dislike for it is not nearly as strong it was a few days ago.
2 comments:
I love your blogs. I hate it when lunch interrupts our school day also. I am lucky that Emma likes leftovers. It is so special we can view your school days and your lovely kids. They are growing up so fast.
Janey
Oh Robin you crack me up! There is nothing like reading a friend's blog and giggling to yourself at midnight when everyone else is sleepin'! See you tomorrow. ;)
Post a Comment