My obsession with decorating, redecorating and attempting to use our space most efficiently is not subtle - I realize this. I realize that everytime you walk in my house you're bound to find something changed, something recovered, something moved. So it goes with my kitchen. For the past two months (or more!) - I've been drawing and redrawing plans to make my kitchen work better for me (anyone know of a kitchen that actually cleans itself?!). I have spent way too much time pouring over IKEA catalogues and web pages trying to find "something" to fit in the corner by window. Something that would give me storage space and serving space. I found it! $695 - and it was perfect. I measured, taped the ground to "visualize" the size, and "blurred my eyes" (you know what I mean Dan-o!) to picture what it might look like in that space. All I needed to do was make the trip to IKEA and fork out the cash.
Then, I went into my garage to put some food to cool.
And there it was.
Filled with Rollerblades, skates, helmets and knee-pads.
Just what I was looking for. In my garage. Hidden away. Storing sports equipement.
I grabbed a cloth, wiped away the dirt and cobwebs. The kids held the doors for me and in it slid.
A perfect fit.
How did I spend hours dreaming up the perfect piece of furniture when all along it was sitting right there in my garage? How did I not see that what I needed was right in front of me?
A little bit of pinesole and a few baskets from JYSK and I saved myself a trip to Burlington and $695.
Got me thinking - as things usually do "get me thinking". So often what we are searching for is right there. It's within our reach. It may be obvious to others. It may be hidden away.
I know I'm seeking - I just pray that I have eyes to see.

1 comment:
That gem was in your garage?! Wow...you did a great job with it, it looks beautiful!
I love turning junk into something pretty, I am a perpetual garbage picker!
So true, I hope I have the eyes as well. For the most part its the struggle to see past the many ugly layers of people to really get to the heart of the issue.
Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment