"Vintage" - it's all the rage in church circles these days.
vin·tage adj. of high quality, especially from a past time period n. the date or time period when something was originally produced or existed; classic; timeless; characterized by enduring appeal
“New Vintage...a fresh perspective on timeless truth.”
I'm not about rant and/or rave about vintage church, but all this talk about vintage got me thinking about a new term that I'm about to coin, "Vintage Home School". Did you know that Edison was home schooled? I digress ...
This year I've faced a few struggles in attempting to engage my middle child in the joys of reading. We've tried everything from Jolly Phonics to Star Fall, from Bob Books to Dr. Seuss. Nothing struck her fancy. Then I thought, WWMED? (What Would Mrs. Edison Do?) Or maybe I should push it ahead a few years from Edison and say What Would Mrs. Cleaver Do? And it hit me - Dick and Jane! It's VINTAGE - it's high quality, it's classic, it's timeless. But does it have appeal? We bought it. We read it. It's boring. "Look Dick. Look Jane. Oh, oh, oh. Oh Dick."
How about "new vintage"? How about a fresh perspective on a timeless truth?
We pull out the video camera. 2008 meets 1958. Karis reads. I video tape. She watches it over and over. And guess what?
She's reading!
Thank you Dick.
Thank you Jane.
Thank you Baby Sally.
Here she is, just press play.
1 comment:
That was SO awesome! I loved the video! Way to go, Karis!!! whooo-hooo!
Dawnelle (and kids)
Post a Comment