Sunday, March 2, 2008

Green Grass


Kermit the Frog once sang "It ain't easy being GREEN". But, oh how I long for GREEN - cause right now, it ain't easy being white. I'm not talking skin color - I'm talking snow vs. grass.

I recently made the decision to never make big decisions in February. Since the forecast is calling for more snow, I've extended that decision and now I never make big decisions in March either. I remember the first snowfall back in December (or was is November?). There is something exciting, refreshing, even rejuvenating about the first snow of the season. The kids couldn't wait to get out and play. Everything looked beautiful. But, by February - the kids dread going out in the snow; I dread dressing the kids to go out in the snow; and nothing is beautiful - the snow is brown (and yellow!) and kind of resembles wet brown sugar (but doesn't taste as sweet, just ask my kids). So February (and now March) is a somewhat depressing month in Ontario.

I long for green grass, spring coats and crocs. I want to send the kids out to jump on the trampoline but not take half an hour to get them out only to have back in 5 minutes complaining that they are wet and cold. I want flowers. See why I don't make decisions at this time of year - I'm grouchy and I lack perspective.

Awhile ago my neighbor Megan was telling me about a dear family member of hers who has since passed away. As she reminisced she made a comment about this person that stuck with me. She said,
"The grass was always greenest right where he was standing".
What an awesome thing to be remembered for! It sounds like he might be the kind of guy I'd like to be around. The kind of guy who didn't look back, forward or around, but someone who was satisfied right where he was. The kind of guy who was sure of where he was and why he was there. He'd probably be the kind of guy who would not only look for the positive things about February in Ontario, he'd probably also find the positive things about February in Ontario.

I want to be that kind of person. As much as I want green grass right now, and as much as I long for daffodils and tulips, I know that God has a purpose and a plan for having me right here - in London, Ontario - in March - in the snow.

My resolution this week is to see the green grass and trust that it is greenest right where I'm standing.

2 comments:

jammer said...

technically you can see some green grass today! :) just look out your window...maybe God knew you were missing it!

Mrs. Breum said...

Very good post, Robin!

(I do NOT miss that snow...ugh! Sending some green grass wishes your way. ;) )

Me and G

Me and G