Friday afternoon, George comes home from a meeting around 2pm and
innocently says, "I've got a little time, is there anything around the house you
want me to do?" Little did he know ...This little scheme had been brewing in my
mind for weeks. Try to picture this: move the computer from the dining room to
the basement, move the table to the other side of the dining room, move the
piano from living room to the dining room, move the book shelf from the dining
room to the family room, move the round chair from our bedroom to the living
room, move the leather chair from the basement to our bedroom, move the wicker
patio furniture from the patio to the basement, buy new patio furniture. Again,
little did he know ... innocent question, "Anything around the house you
want me to do?" Huge project. He is so patient with me!
http://robinsaylor.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-man-what-mighty-fine-man.html
Once again I need to brag on the patience of my mighty-fine-man. Here's how it all went down this time around:
1) take down the bunk beds
2) Karis's queen size mattresses to Mike and Meghan
3) Karis's queen size headboard/foot board to my parents
4) Karis's dresser to my parents
5) Eden's dresser to Lee
(meanwhile - my parents old bedroom furniture going to Ben and Caitlin)
6) one twin bed in each of the girls bedrooms
7) new dressers from Ikea
8) desk from my parents
9) next day - desk and side table (Ikea!) from garage sale (5 bucks)
10) desk back to my parents
11) bookshelf from basement to family room
12) hutch from family room to dining room
13) Ikea bookshelf from Mike and Meghan in school room
Phew ... are you tired just reading this? I truly am thankful for a very patient husband who goes along with my whims (nicks in the paint and all) and doesn't fuss a bit when I scheme some major furniture overhaul.
As I was rearranging the books on the bookshelves this afternoon I got to thinking about my passion for change. Is it "discontent" (you know, the not-so-good kind of discontent) or is it "insatiable creativity" always looking for a new spin on the same-old-same-old. I'm not sure. I want to say that it's the latter, that it's my creativity and not my discontent that drives me, but I'm sure that like a lot of things in life it is a very fine line that I walk. I am content, but the magazines in the check-out aisle and the shows on HGTV seem to leave me wanting more. I need to change the channel to World Vision TV a little more often and have "my heart broken with the things that break the heart of God", I need to truly seek justice. I am blessed and I am content. And right now my home is running just a little more organized and is running just a little bit smoother because of the few "little" furniture changes that were made.
PS Did you notice all the people involved in this great furniture rearrangement? This really is an Acts 2 kind of community! I love it.
2 comments:
WOW! That is too funny..we "suffer" from the same 'bouts of discontent. We are constantly making our furniture dizzy...and when we finally give up on that we just move! lol.
also, let me just say "YOU GOT AN IKEA DESK AND NIGHTSTAND FOR $5?! WHERE DO YOU GO GARAGE SALE'ING?!"
That's a LOT of movement! I support the furniture movement business! There will be a lot of movement at our place when we lay claim to the basement again!
Plus - I feel a need to go garage saleing (how do you even attempt to spell that word!?) due to your uncanny ability to get deals!
Post a Comment