It was a bitter sweet day around our house. Full of emotion.
I fondly remember the first day of school. The excitement over new classes, new teachers, new clothes, new running shoes, new pens, new paper, new books, new friends. So a little piece of my heart breaks when I see my oldest daughter looking longingly at the children walking to the bus stop this morning. To be honest, I even have a few tears in my eyes as I write this. I understand her curiousity, her desire to experience what the other kids are experiencing. She wants what I at her age was excited for.
So, am I doing the right thing?
We joined a crowd of homeschoolers at the park today for a Not-Going-Back-To-School party. It was fun. Bitter sweet fun. I could tell that Eden wasn't 100% into it. So, I took her aside and played a not-so-rousing-but-equally-fun game of badminton with her. We laughed a lot (we're real bad a badminton!)
Again, am I doing the right thing?
Yes, I am 100% sure of our decision to homeschool. I love the family environment of homeschooling. I love the community environment of homeschool co-ops. Our children are flourishing. But every September I question - am I doing the right thing?
When we got home from the party it was 3:00pm. Kids were coming home from school. Eden immediately got on the phone with her neighborhood friends and planned to meet at the playground at 4:00pm. A group of four of them played for almost 2 hours. I was just what she needed - time with her friends. It was just what I needed - to see her having fun. I guess we are doing the right thing. Friday HIGH Day (our co-op) starts - she's already got her outfit picked out!
2 comments:
Great post Robyn and what an awesome picture!
Jenn
we had to leave before the picture but we had a wonderful time at the NGBTS picnic. I don't believe I had a chance to meet you but I seemed to have stumbled upon your blog earlier this year.
Post a Comment