Thursday, September 25, 2008

Skin Deep

They say that beauty is only skin deep. Or they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or they say that you can't judge a book by it's cover.









I think they saw this tomato in my garden. Maybe they saw it's beauty. But I, I was tempted to send it straight to the compost. Look at it - it's down right ugly. It doesn't take a dirty mind to see that it looks more like the back side of chimp than a delectable fruit.

Some kind of pity welled up in me for that poor, ugly tomato. I gave that tomato a chance. I cut it open, sliced it up, took a bite.
They were right.
This tomato was the most delicious tomato of the summer - warm, juicy, meaty, and yes - ugly.

I wonder how many things, how many ideas, how may people(?) I've sent straight to the compost because I did judge the book by the cover. Today, I'm glad I took a chance on an ugly tomato.

ps Even those of you who I couldn't convince to love the taste of this ugly tomato (you know who you are!!) must admit that it is beautiful looking on the inside!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that IS one ugly tomato!!! But the inside sure looked yummy!

(btw, Ally thought it was a pumpkin?! lol)

-H said...

I totally agree. I love it evertime I am surprised by a wrong first apperance impression. Its always a good or God reminder :)

Me and G

Me and G