Thursday, October 2, 2008

Face-lift and a Blurb

It's about time my blog had a little face-lift, or as they call it in the blogging world a "blog-lift". (Actually I just made that whole blog-lift thing up ... sounds good though!)

I have to admit that I started blogging as a good way to keep in contact with family and friends who live far away. It's a little one sided, but it saves me from uploading and emailing the same photos to a dozen different people. Somewhere along the way though my blogging became something I did for me. I find it cathartic to write. I love photography and love posting my photos. And, as I near 40 years old (yikes!) and my memory is slipping (not really!) I find it to be a time effecient way to hold on to memories. Scapbooking is a mere memory of days gone by when I had time to cut and glue something other than contruction paper and cotton balls (my kids are little enough we still do cotton ball crafts).

And now, it all comes together with my discovery of http://www.blurb.com/. Blurb.com is a self-publishing company that will publish one (or a few more) hard bound books of your writing (say for example you are unable to get a major name to publish your book, or you just want your grandparents love letters saved in a hard bound book). A recent addition is a feature called Blog-to-Book. You click a button and "slurp" your blog is inputted to a book template. It needs a little editing to have the fonts and spacing just right - but it is amazing.

So this little blog is now bringing all (or some) of my worlds together - I blog to communicate, I blog to write, I blog to share photos, and now I blog to keep my memories in a hard bound book. I have all of my 2007 blog ready to be printed. I let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh wow. I must say that I LOVE LOVE the little birdie at the top there!!! And i am now off to check out Blurb. Sounds VERY intriguing! But i must say that before the urinal incident i really had nothing cool to say! Definitely dying to hear about YOUR urinal story now!!! LOL! :D

Me and G

Me and G