Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For the Love of ART


I love art.
I get it that my children are most content when doing art.

So, we do a lot of art projects around our house. Usually I give them a whole lot of creative freedom. Here are the supplies - now go crazy. And wow ... do they ever come up with some awesome works of art.

I've been struck lately with the amazing illustrations in picture books. We all know that reading aloud to kids develops their reading skills, is good for family bonding, etc. etc. etc. But this school year we're taking a closer LOOK at picture books. We're reading the stories, then looking at the artistic qualities of the illustrations, and I am attempting to actually teach them some techniques of art. They are eager students (I just wish they were this eager to do math and spelling!)

Last week we discovered different ways to draw water while reading "Ping". This week we fell in love with the illustrations in a new book called "Grumpy Bird". I think I need to buy this book. I love the use of color, the combination of realistic looking trees and cartoony flowers, the horizon line, the dry brush clouds, the use of paint and oil pastels, and Grumpy Bird is just so grumpy you've got to love him.

As I type the kids continue to work on yet another painting while listening to Classical Kids stories about Handel. Ahh ... a quiet moment for me to breathe and sip the Starbucks coffee that my oh so loving husband just brought me (I forgot to buy coffee at the grocery store yesterday and was somewhat annoyed this morning). It's 10:52am - maybe I should shower and get out of my pjs now.

3 comments:

jammer said...

i really like that green one on the bottom left! who's was that? :)

jules said...

thanks again for the beautiful photos you took last night!
they rock!

bjoycefamily said...

When I was learning to teach the Suzuki Foundations Class (for babies and toddlers), I learned that the class was to wind down and finish with a short story. The stories chosen were to be short, with clear pictures, or pictures that were beautiful to cultivate appreciation of beauty. It's still my standard with Katherine's reading (I admit I'm a sucker for watercolours...)

Me and G

Me and G