Friday, October 10, 2008

Pets Wanted

We are not pet people. Let me rephrase that, George and I are not pet people. For the past month the kids have been begging and pleading for a pet, specifically a hamster. I made the mistake of popping in to PetSmart with them, so now they have an adorable little face to put to their desired for pet. *Sigh* What's a mom to do?

I've let this pipe dream sit dormant for a few weeks, hoping beyond hope that they'd forget.

Until today. You see, a few weeks back we discovered a gorgeous praying mantis in our back yard. We investigated him for a few hours before returning to our intended school work. Apparently a few hours is all it takes for a praying mantis to bond to a family. For the past two weeks he's been hanging out on our back porch. Every once in awhile the kids will introduce him (we assume he's a him) to their friends or attempt to feed him a blade of grass (although we looked it up and he really eats bugs). They wanted to make a home for him but I convinced them that God did a better job making his home than they could with paper plates and tape.

Today our relationship with the praying mantis was taken to whole other level. At one point they had him on the trampoline - I said a quick prayer that he wouldn't get smooshed. And then ... then Karis and Justin put him in a little bug carrier and took him for a walk around the block.

I think we may need to reconsider the pet thing. Maybe we can be pet people. Maybe.

I just need to add that I do love watching my kids take such great joy at playing in/with nature. It's a beautiful thing.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hamsters are stinky, and noisy at night, but they only have a life expectency of like 2 yrs...so it kinda evens out! :D

Goodluck in your decision!

Mrs. Johnson said...

You know I love the pet thing! We've got 2 dogs, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. We did have 2 fish that lived for 3 years, but cleaning the tank was kind of gross. Go for low maintenance - seems like the kids are pretty easily satisfied since they are this happy with a praying mantis.

Started my blog back up. http://leslieontheway.blogspot.com/

The Passionate Housewife said...

Oh Robin,
I have the perfect pet for your kids!
We have guinea pigs and they are adorable! They don't bite, aren't noisy and are extremely social! Our little cocoa might be expecting soon, so you never know....

Me and G

Me and G