So the topic this week is "Good For Her" - as George and I sat on the couch Thursday night reflecting on this we laughed until our bellies hurt and our eyes watered. I know - probably not a good thing to be laughing our gutts out as we talk about sex. But, as we talked about women needing words of affirmation and love from their men I remembered that I had a stack of poems and love letters from George in my dresser drawer. We sifted through the letters and I fell more in love with him than ever. I also laughed heartily at his exhuberance, confidence and vulnerability. So - here's a sampling of his "word-play". A poem written on our 8th anniversary.
Read it in jest - for that is how it was written.
"A Good and Obedient Wife"
Eight years ago on this day,
I took you to be my wife.
Upon the marriage bed we did lay,
And I have been your life.
A comely girl I saw you to be,
And a suitable vessel for my seed.
Three progeny have you given to me,
And from your bossom they feed.
You have kept my home clean,
And cooked my meals.
You have pleased me in every way.
I now know the wisdom of my choice,
When I took you for the rest of your life.
Which is why I'm proud to say with my voice,
You are a good and obedient wife.
By Master George J. Saylor
upon our eighth wedding anniversary, May 17, 2005
** edit added: for those of you thinking that "comely" is a derogatory term please see this definition:
Main Entry: come·ly
Pronunciation: \ˈkəm-lē also ˈkōm- or ˈkäm-\
Etymology: Middle English comly, alteration of Old English cȳmlic glorious, from cȳme lively, fine; akin to Old High German kūmig weak
Date: 13th century
1 : pleasurably conforming to notions of good appearance, suitability, or proportion
2 : having a pleasing appearance : not homely or plain
synonyms see beautiful
— come·li·ness noun
2 comments:
OH WOWZA! I don't even have words...rofl...
That's cute and hilarious at the same time. Sounds like George
Post a Comment