Friday, June 19, 2009

It Is Easy Being Green


As homeschoolers my kids rarely need to pack a lunch. Hence, we rarely need to deal with the paper bag, plastic bag, no-garbage day stuff that's a part of lunch packing. But as summer arrived this week (woo-hoo!) I realized that soon day-camp season would be upon us, and as such we would need to enter the LUNCH-ZONE (quietly singing doo-do-doo-do, doo-do-doo-do twighlight zone-like tune).


In my attempt to be both green and cute (yes, they can coincide), I created a set of these re-usable baggies for each of the kids. Plus I'm working on a co-ordinating cinch sack, gotta match you know! The baggies are washable and lined in either plastic (I know - still lots of toxins but they are good for wet snacks like grapes) or in muslin (no toxins!).


And now comes the honesty - my reasons for doing this are in this order, 1) I like cute things, 2) I really like cute fabric, 3) I like to sew - but not clothes, so this is a good usable thing to sew, and 4) it's good for the environment. And besides, the kids are already using them and I've used this as a means to teach them more about using the sewing machine (Karis has been sewing all day!). So I guess I could add #5) it's a good lesson on how to sew and design.


So here's to summer. Here's to lunch. Here's to cute fabric. Here's to green. See - it IS easy being green!

4 comments:

Soph said...

I love it, Robin! Those are awesome! You need to teach me to sew!!! :)

Lisa said...

They are great! Are you going to market any of those? I could sure use some and I don't know a thing about sewing! I love to find green solutions.
Seriously. Let me know. LOVE them!

bjoycefamily said...

Very cool - how do you make them washable AND lined with plastic?? Very interested for your template. We really need these!!

Michelle Thomas Wiegers said...

These are awesome Robin! I'm with you, love cute fabric, love to sew, but not clothes! Though don't I recall that you sewed your wedding dress.

btw, I'm enjoying catching up on your blog tonight, sure you've figured that out by now. Hope this isn't too many comments! :)

Me and G

Me and G