Beside the infamous, "What about the socialization?" question, the number one question I get about homeschooling is this, "What do you DO?"
Good question. Fair. Don't get me started though because I'll talk your ear off.
I'll tell you about reading novels and getting so into them that after numerous "One more chapter" requests we finish the book in one afternoon. I'll tell you about learning Latin root words and trying out our new Spanish words on each other. I'll tell you about science in the kitchen (there's a lot of chemistry in cooking!). I'll tell you about writing music for an all girl rock band and then cutting a CD of their own songs. I'll tell you ...
OK, I told you not to get me started.
Today I'll tell you about a trip to Sifton Bog to study the difference between vascular and non-vascular plants. We loaded our backpacks with pencil crayons, art paper, and magnifying glasses. We've walked the path at Sifton Bog many, many times before but this time as we walked we had our eyes open for MOSS (non-vascular).
It was EVERYwhere. We sat. We read about it. We walked some more. We ate lunch.
We magnified it. We attempted to burn it with our magnifying glasses (didn't burn!). We felt it.
3 comments:
Love your blog. Wished I could go back to the younger years in homeschool. You are the perfect hs mom. Want to try it with a now 15 yr old?
Janey Hathcock
homeschooling is great isn't it?...good job! Norma.
Don't ya just love the Creation with Botany book and activities?!
The boys and I loved it..it was definitely my favorite science curric.
Can't wait to do it with the girls next year and get those journals you have!
Post a Comment