Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Hallmark Day

Another Hallmark Holiday has come and gone.
I have this love/hate relationship with Valentines.
I love it ... seriously love it. I love making cards and cookies. I love tea parties and heart shaped pancakes. I love flowers and chocolate. I love the people in my life.
I don't like being told to celebrate it on Feb 14.

That being said, I also don't like saying "Well, we're busy on Feb 14 so we're celebrating Valentines on Feb 20 (or whatever date)." If we're going to celebrate Valentines then we are going to celebrate on Feb 14 or we're going to forget about it all together.

Oh my - as I read back over this I see how hard I am to please.
How does my family put up with me?

So what do you do when your husband's busiest work day (as a pastor) is Sunday and Valentines Day falls on a Sunday?

I'll tell you what you do.
You give your poor husband a break. You lay off the pressure to do anything special. You have no expectations. You trust that he loves you deeply and always will.

You run to the grocery store late Sunday afternoon and buy yourself a bouquet of flowers that are now marked 50% off.


You pick up a pound of bacon for that dear husband of yours.
You remind yourself again of the many ways he shows you that he loves you throughout the week - everyday.

You laugh till you almost pee your pants at how excited he gets over no-name bacon.
You feed the kids and send them to bed early (with serious threats that they may not disturb our romantic dinner).
You throw together some Pad Thai, light a candle, add the vase of flowers, turn on some quiet music. And voila! - candle light dinner for two. No babysitter needed. No reservations. No big bill. No tips.
You are thrilled when all of a sudden he remembers that he did get you a gift and he presents you with a homemade card and a Starbucks gift card.
You giggle when your son sheepishly comes into the kitchen and says, "I just wanted to see what a romantic dinner was."
You say, "I love you!" and you mean it. Valentines day or not - you mean it.

After almost 13 years of marriage I know my husband.
I know that he loves me.
That's what matters - he loves me.
And he loves bacon.
But he loves me more.
At least that's what he tells me.

4 comments:

OrangeHeroMama said...

Awwww..what a wonderful post. And what a gorgeous dinner!

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com said...

It touches me to see that you have such a healthy and happy marriage. :) beautiful kids too.

Just hopped by to tell you that you're the winner of "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day"! Congratulations! Please email your address to admin@GourmetFury.com

Thanks for participating!

Mrs. Breum said...

love that post!

The Passionate Housewife said...

He loves you more...but bacon, now thats a worthy competitor!

Me and G

Me and G