Say it five times fast.
Isn't it just the most unattractive word in the English language.
Loaf.
Now say "cellar door".
Ahh ... cellar door.
According to research cellar door is the most beautiful word in the English language.
And yet - I love loafs and have no affection toward cellar doors.
Despite it's lack of phonoaesthetics I love the Loaf.
Just this week I made Lemon Loaf and Ham Loaf.
I've spent 15 years looking for the perfect Banana Loaf recipe.
And my husband has a somewhat obsessive appetite for Meat Loaf.
Love the Loaf.
Which brings me to my thought of the day.
Ham Loaf.
Until I married into a Western Pennsylvania family I'd never heard of ham loaf, or if I had I'm sure I dismissed it as something not worth the calories or the time.
So when my husband suggested that his grandmother make Ham Loaf for our wedding dinner I did a double take. Uhh ... that would be a no, thank you.
And then I tasted the afore mentioned ham loaf, lovingly made by his dear Gram Babe (yes, her name is actually Babe!). Immediately my mind was changed. Ham loaf was on the wedding menu, and I've never looked back.
About 10 years ago we were visiting Gram and Pap in Revloc, PA. Gram emerged from her basement with and old metal contraption in her hands. Looked like a tool from Pap's workshop. She turned to me and asked if I wanted it. Umm, no thanks I don't really need any tools. Another wrong assumption on my part. This was no tool for wood and nails, this old contraption was a meat grinder that originally belonged to HER grandmother (or mother? either way it's old). This was a real-deal-old-timey-take-it-to-Antique-Roadshow kind of a tool. I was THRILLED - of course I wanted it.
Visions of ham loafs leaped in George's head.
Visions of George grinding the ham leaped in my head.
It was all good.
Which leads me to today - over 10 years later.
I spent a very lovely half hour grinding meat with Justin on the weekend. It's one of those pioneer moments that both mom and kids love because it seems so non-chore like. It was a bonding moment.
Last year our dear Gram has passed away and we miss her dearly.
As I hunted through my cupboard for Gram's Ham Loaf recipe I had a moment of panic.
What if I lost the recipe? I'm sure Kaye or Aunt Lynn could get it for me. But what if ...
Once the recipe was in my hand I ran down to the computer and posted it on All Recipes. I'm waiting for them to approve it. But until then here's a link to my personal recipe file on All Recipes - Gram's Ham Loaf.
We think of Gram all the time - even more so on days when we prepare her recipes or eat pie or perogies or jello or cookies etc. Until we see her again she will forever live on in our hearts and in our kitchens. I think I'll try to get all her recipes in my digital recipe box. No more panic at the thought of losing them.
Try this recipe. You'll love the loaf.
If you need to borrow the meat grinder - give me a call. You can use it anytime.
Loaf.
Loaf.
Loaf.
Loaf.
Loaf.
Doesn't sound any better no matter how many times you say it.
Loaf.
3 comments:
Oh, I love that meat grinder!!
I gotta check out your grandmas recipe...
Robin, you're the hamloaf of women in my book! I love you. I mean, I loaf you!
Forget the loaf, you used the word phonoaesthetics in a sentence. I LOVE that about you.
Post a Comment