Monday, March 22, 2010

What's Cooking?


I have one major problem with menu planning. It's a biggie. I'm afraid that it all boils down to a struggle with delayed gratification. You see, every weekend I sit down and make a menu for the upcoming week. I drool over recipe books and web pages. I scrutinize the flyers to find the best deals. And in the end I (along with handy assistants!) come up with 6 dinners and an assortment of lunches.

Here's where the problem arises.
I get so excited about each one of the meals that while I'm sitting at dinner thoroughly enjoying the meal in front of me I can't help but think about what's for dinner tomorrow, and the next night, and the next. So while my ham loaf, carrots, and fresh bread are steaming hot and absolutely delicious - I'm thinking about Rainbow Trout and Couscous.

Serious problem here.
Probably a sign of some deeper problem.
I may need help. Intervention anyone?

Silliness aside, there is a lesson to be learned. I do need to learn to be satisfied and fully present in the present. Although I'm a planner I need to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground and not just looking forward to the next step. I need to love the moment while being ready for the future.

Here's what I'm drooling over this week:

Monday
Ham Loaf (Gram's Recipe, I just posted it on All Recipes - my first attempt at listing my own recipes)
Carrots (cooked with dill, butter and brown sugar)
Mini potatoes
Homemade Bread (from the Bread in Five Minutes A Day cookbook - loving it!)
* my recipe makes three ham loafs ... so I now have two in the freezer for a rainy day!

Tuesday
Chicken and Leek Stroganoff (Jamie Oliver - have I mentioned how obsessed I am with Jamie Oliver??)
Noodles
Caesar Salad
* actually used leftover turkey that I had in the freezer instead of the chicken

Wednesday
Rainbow Trout with Oats (another Jamie Oliver recipe - yep, he's my buddy)
Couscous
Broccoli
* this recipes is not found on the web, BUT if you click on the photo at the top you might be able to make out the directions. or just call me and i'll read it to you!

Thursday
Roasted Chicken (on sale at Superstore - super cheap)
Potatoes
Salad

Friday
Chicken Quesadillas (with leftover chicken from Thursday)
Refried Beans

Saturday
Steak and Cheese Pie (ok stop me - this is another Jamie Oliver recipe!)

Sunday
Justin's Birthday
- he's working on his requests for birthday meal, should be interesting!

Lunches
Tuna Melts on English Muffins
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Mac and Cheese
Waffles with Fruit

1 comment:

Soph said...

Jamie oliver is my hero!!! His cookbooks give me warm fuzzies :)

Me and G

Me and G