But no matter how frozen my nose it, today I choose to be happy.
Whatever "they" say about today. I choose joy.
I honor of being happy, I give you my top ten things that make me smile today.
#10. My new love of salad.
I've openly expressed my strong dislike of salad in the past.
Well, forget the past. I'm moving on. I'm over it.
I found a way to love salad. Less green. Pretty it up a bit with some beets, pears, dried blueberries and goat cheese*. Throw on some toasted walnuts, mix up a little honey dijon and dressing. And voila - I love salad again.
Call me a flip-flopper. That's ok. I'm hooked. It's kind of like having a little taste of summer in my mouth every day at 12 noon. Yum.
*Just to make things easy, I pre-cooked the beets and toasted the walnuts on the weekend. It's all ready to make a quick salad during the week.
#9. This is my husband!
He's still got it.
#8. This is my son!
He'll soon get it!
Plus I love the fact that this picture makes him laugh so hard he almost pees his pants (which, btw is not the coolest!, thank you Adam Sandler). Laughing at your own falls ... that's cool!
#7. Double clouds! Double clouds! They are so incredibly beautiful. Double clouds!
Seriously, as I was prepping to take some rockin' pictures of George and Justin at the terrain park this 20-something guy comes out of his van and sets up his camera right next to me. I tell you what, this guy must have been doing some "funny stuff" in his van before coming out to take some pictures of his buddies. When he saw these clouds he went all "double rainbow guy" on me. "Woah, like these are the most beautiful clouds I've ever seen. Come on girl, you gotta get a picture." So I took a picture to appease the high-guy. It's decent. More than the picture though, the guy left me in stitches - smiling all the way home!
#6. Girl Friends. Enough said.
There's something old timey and romantic about it. Even when it's cold and snowy.
#4. Memories of summer.
Incidently some of the girls in the picture above are also in the picture below. Which reminds me of #6. Ahhh .... girl friends.
#3. Bead for Life.
What began as a simple attempt to provide a fair trade Christmas gift option for our church family and friends resulted in $2,881. It blew me away. Much more than I ever expected. The amazing thing is that over 80% of that $2,881 goes directly back to the women in Uganda who made the jewelry. Thank you to everyone who participated. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
#2. Pittsburgh's Going To The SUPERBOWL.
We've got our terrible towel ready to wave and George is determined to wear Steeler attire for the next two weeks straight. Thankfully he's well supplied in Steeler attire!
This picture was sent around in an email forward today - hillarious, those kids have no choice but to be Steelers fans! Nine years ago last month Karis was born in a Pittsburgh hospital. They didn't wrap her in the terrible towel, but I must have drank the water while we were there because I have got the Steeler fever!
And finally ... my #1.
#1. The Game of Life.
My son is a skilled home schooler. He convinced me that the Game of Life should count as math.
So we spent the afternoon today playing the Game of Life. It was precious. Ironically, playing Life this afternoon was a memory in life that I'll never forget. Nothing earth shattering happened. Just a pleasant afternoon spinning the wheel, having babies, going to college, paying back loans, and staying away from "pea-soup fog". (No, that's not true, the new Game of Life does not include "pea-soup fog", but it does include "supporting an orphanage in Africa".)
The boy was right, it did count as math. Math, and a whole lot more!
So, today I once again choose joy.
The weather outside is certainly frightful - disgustingly frightful. But who cares. I have beautiful salads, an amazing family, great friends, my team is winning, summer is five months away, and my kid is actually fun to play with!
I'm smiling.


1 comment:
awesome list :)
Post a Comment