Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spoons, Bibles and Dirty Laundry

I'm taking inventory.
Thinking of all that is lost.  
Thinking of everything that once was, but now is dust.  

The insurance providers need the lists.  They need us to take inventory.  But it's wrecking me.  
It's the little things, like all my soup spoons that I left there after the retreat.  
It's the big things, like ALL of George's books.
It's the memories, like the box of crosses that we have collected from everywhere we've been.  We were planning to hang them on the wall in George's office.  Some from our wedding, some from Guatemala, some from a furniture maker in North Carolina, some made by kids in our NC youth group, etc.  

I totally lost it though when I realized that all George has left is his laptop, one Bible, and a box of personal files that he brought home to do taxes.
One Bible.
And not even a study Bible.  

So this morning I stopped at the Upper Room to buy him a new Bible.  Looking for an ESV Study Bible, preferably leather.  
$82.
It's just money, Robin.  It's ok.
$82 is a lot.  But it's worth it.
So I sorted through the stack to find the color of leather that he might like ('cause you know, that's exactly what he's worried about now, the color of leather on his Bible!).  Brown, blue, red, green.  I almost passed by the green until I notice the little red sticker on the corner, SALE: $49.
$49.
*sigh* The little blessings.  
Just the Bible he needs and on sale.
$49 sounds so much better than $82.

I'm ready for little blessings.  
I see them all around me.
I am so much more atuned to them than I ever was before.

I just put a load of laundry in the washer.  Of all the things I brought home from the Ministry Centre last Saturday I brought the dirty laundry.  I'm washing it.  Making it clean.  
So now we have clean towels and a new Bible.  We're ready for the next step in our ministry.  Praying that God will show us where to walk.

*** 

As a side note, we've had lots of people asking how they can help. First of all, THANK YOU.  As much as we are overwhelmed with the task ahead of us, we are even more overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support.  Thank you.  Click here to get to a page on our website that explains how you can help.


2 comments:

Mike said...

Beautifully written -- keep writing, I love reading your reflections, and I think it helps us all process what's happened!

Meghan said...

And that was me not Mike ...

Me and G

Me and G