Sunday, February 12, 2012

Increased in Awesomeness

It was a happen-chance conversation that will stick with me for a really long time.
With a grin as wide as the state of Pennsylvania she looked up at me and practically shouted,

"I increased in awesomeness today!"

Her excitement was contagious.
She didn't know me - she assumed I was a teacher or parent accompanying their school trip to the ski hill, but it didn't matter, she was excited and she had to tell someone.  I was that someone. 

"So, you had a great day of skiing?"
"I had an awesome day of skiing!"
"Did you get your dots?" (check mark = bunny hill, 1 dot = green, 2 dots = blue, 3 dots = everything)



Her smile didn't waiver.  "Nope.  Not a dot."

Really?  150 elementary aged kids on the ski hill, all vying for the freedom promising three dots, and I'm talking to the one kid with NO dots and still a smile on her face.  Who is this kid?


She continued, "I was here last week and I got one check mark.  This week, I got TWO check marks."
I'm sure I was still staring at her with a dumbfounded smile.  
"See!"  She pulled out her lift ticket to show off her two checks.  "I increased in awesomeness!"

How beautiful.
How refreshing.
In a world that is constantly holding up images of what we should be or could be I find her confidence and joy breathtaking.  It seems that her joy does not rest in being better than her peers.  Her joy is in her own growth.

I want that.
I want to stop comparing.
I need to remember that God created me to be ME.  
God cares that I grow - but he doesn't care that I grow faster or better or prettier or more creatively than others.   He just wants me to grow.  

All this talk of dots and checks reminds me of Max Lucado's story of the Wemmicks.  
It's a beautiful children's story with a message we all need to hear.
Take a minute and watch this reading of the book.




A special shout out that dear girl on the ski hill who taught me such an important lesson.
You are special.  Don't forget it.
Thank you.


No comments:

Me and G

Me and G