If you've followed my adventures-in-raising-an-off-the-chart-creative-child you know that we've been on an "upcycle" kick for the past few months. Unfortunately for Goodwill and other Thrift shops, we've been collecting our cast-off clothing and finding extremely amazing ways to reuse and repurpose them.
My latest upcycle attempt was thanks in part to the ubber cool fashion sense of my friend Kate and the kindness of my serger owning friend Karen. Thank you ladies.
Without further ado, I now present to you: SLEEVES.
Made out of pre-shrunk sweaters that I was intending to give away and sewn together with a serger.
Just as their title suggests, they are merely sleeves.
No body. No neck. Just sleeves.
My dear seven year old son confronted me in all sincerity as I was sewing. "Mom," he said, "I don't think it's appropriate to wear ONLY sleeves to a sweater."
So, to clarify, the sleeves are intended to be worn over top of any long sleeve shirt.
Yes my son, sleeves alone would be inappropriate. Over top of a t-shirt they are a fashion statement!
And for those on the "hmmm, I'm not so sure about this sleeve thing" bandwagon, you could always wear them as legwarmers.
In the end, 6 sweaters = 4 pairs of sleeves, 2 pairs of leg warmers and one infinity scarf.
Anyone else having some serious Rainbow Bright flashbacks right now?
Proud to be a child of the 80s!




2 comments:
Totally, totally cool Robin!!! I have a pair of wool, argyle green socks that I have been thinking of doing something similar to. Didn't know I'd have to serge them together. I think I'm in love with the 'sleeves'... don't know if I can find sweaters that need to be upcycled in our house right now, but yah, I could hit VV!
I would like a pair of sleeves please. The ones in the pics would be fine.
Post a Comment